Chengdu Rendezvous part 1

THE CHENGDU RENDEZVOUS
PART 1: the people
I love traveling and visiting new places, but I hate being a tourist...the feeling of being an unfamiliar outsider. It's just something you have to put up with if you want to visit new places.
But none of that in Chengdu! I just spent 5 days in Chengdu with friends who made me feel as though Chengdu was my old hometown. That's why entry #1 about Chengdu has to be about the people who made it happen. Although my tongue danced with the best of Sichuan food and my eyes feasted on a buffet of amazing sights, the single-best thing about this short trip was the people with whom I spent it.

WANG BO
This trip to Chengdu is 2 years in the making and requires a brief introduction... which I'm going to turn into a very long and detailed introduction (lol). It all began in Professor Ryder's Chinese class at Northern Illinois University. In the Fall of 2005 we band of China-loving brothers (and sisters) took FLCH 101 and began to gel almost instantly. In a month, everyone in that class knew each other's name and had each other's phone number and were doing things together outside of class. In the Spring of 2006, a person named Wang Bo entered the class. He was fluent in Chinese and just wanted to take the class because it was an easy A. A lot of Chinese students do that. And most of them just coast through the class never really doing anything or talking to anyone... just collecting their A at the end of the semester. But Bo was different. Even on the first day before the first class had even begun, he talked and laughed with us all out in the hallway. Throughout the years, he helped us with our Chinese with the same care and skill as our teacher. And he did things with us outside of class. At that moment, FLCH was complete... we had Professor Ryder... we had Andrew... we had Mei.... we had Alex... we had Phil... we had Jonathan... we had Nhu... and now we had Wang Bo!
As a group, we did many things together. We spent an afternoon at the DeKalb Walmart... we spent a week in New York City! Why not go to China together? Well, that is the dream. Our dream is for everyone from that FLCH cohort to enjoy a meal together (preferably hot pot) in China. The first slice of that dream was realized last weekend when Bo and I met in Chengdu.
All that I need to say about Wang Bo is expressed in this picture of him cracking a laughing smile as he devotes incense to the Gods. And even Buddha is probably laughing... because when Bo laughs everyone laughs! And that's why everyone loves Wang Bo!

Wang Bo

THE CHENGDU CREW
Bo introduced me to many of his friends from middle school. But most of our time was spent with two friends in particular: Li and LaMei (whom due to my poor control of tones I once pronounced incorrectly to effect of calling her a "spicy mama!"). They both have great senses of humor, deep kindness and generosity, and bottomless patience. Li was our expert guide. He planned all the attractions and had the tireless job of being the "you guai, zuo guai, you guai, zhi zou, you guai" guy. And LaMei tried again... and again... to help me speak in Chinese (oh how I suck!).
from left to right
LaMei, Aaron the Red-Faced LaoWai, Wang Bo, Li
THE FAM
In my stay in Chengdu, I really got to know Bo's family. I stayed at Bo's house and we ate dinner with his aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents each night. Now I have eaten dinner and stayed the night with many of my students' families before, but this experience with Bo's family was different. Despite the language barrier, I definitely felt a sense of bonding.
The best thing about Bo's family, I think, is their sense of humor. I love when people laugh and enjoy laughing. Bo's mom is especially funny.
from left to right
Uncle, Aunt, Mom, Bo, Zilong, LaMei, Li, Cousin
The only bad thing about spending the time in Chengdu with Bo, his friends, and his family is that I felt like such a burden. They all went to incredible lengths to host me!... Instead of feeling guilty, I will feel grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaron, was elated to hear you were meeting Bo and his family! I remember quite well the discussions you both had and here it's now your reality. I was so excited to think you were seeing an old familiar face from home. Sounds like they all went above and beyond to welcome you and how awesome they were willing to share their time with Bo! Again,THANK YOU Bo for inviting Aaron and you & your families hospitality, you certainly are a good friend.